White Oak School,

White Oak, NC

Next Reunion!

Saturday, August 11, 2018

         WhiteOakGym

SECTION 1
School History
Principals
 

Upcoming Reunion   Saturday, August 13, 2016

School Reunions locations & Attendance

Year

Location

1995     

The Barn, Elizabethtown, NC

1996  

Charlie Rose Center, Fayetteville

1998 

Charlie Rose Center, Fayetteville

2000 

Charlie Rose Center, Fayetteville

2002   

Charlie Rose Center, Fayetteville

2004 

Elizabethtown Baptist Church

2006   

Elizabethtown Baptist Church

2008

Elizabethtown Baptist Church

2010  

Elizabethtown Baptist Church

2011  

Elizabethtown Baptist Church

2012   

Elizabethtown Baptist Church

2013

Elizabethtown Baptist Church

2014 

Elizabethtown Baptist Church

2015 

White Oak Gym

2016

White Oak Gym

2017

White Oak Gym

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

  Slide show of 2010 Photos   2014 pictures

Gym Restoration  ClickHere

Attendance by Year                 Student        Guest        Total

1995

157

102

259

1996

310

147

457

1998

276

114

390

2000

184

77

261

2002

277

103

380

2004

214

95

309

2006

201

98

299

2008

192

94

286

2010

180

80

260

2011

159

73

232

2012

124

53

177

2013

139

60

199

2014

151

64

215

2015

190

84

274 + 21 guests

2016

159

69

228

2017

146

50

196

Send Information to dcoble2@ec.rr.com

Addresses Needed! Please let me know if you have a good address for anyone on this list.  Also, if any are listed who are deceased, please let me know, along with date of death.

WHITE OAK SCHOOL -A BRIEF CHRONOLOGY

The school began its existence as an educational institution in 1878. Three years later (1881) White Oak Academy was built by the people of the community, a large, one-room, wooden building. An extra room was added to the south side of the academy in 1901 to house primary students.

In 1902, the first typewriter for the school was purchased for the business department and a library was established with 500 volumes. Two years later another wing was added to the east side and two additional rooms were built onto the front in 1905. White Oak Academy was the only high school in Bladen County for many years.

Enrollment in 1902 totaled 131 and increased to 175 by 1904. Boarding students paid $6.00 to $7.00 per month to reside in private homes. Tuition fees per term were set at $5.00 for primary, $7.50 for intermediate,  $ 10.00 in the common school department and $12.50 in the academic department.

In 1908, Principal W W Woodhouse's dream of a dormitory for boarding students was realized. Melvina Cain was the first housekeeper and cook for the residents.

The academy burned in 1918 and a movement got underway to consolidate some of the nearby schools with White Oak. A new brick building was to be erected on the site of the destroyed academy. Brick were made by D. M. Tatum from clay at a location near the present Post Office. Classes were conducted in the dormitory until the fall of 1922. Schools known to have been consolidated included Ammon, Live Oak, Central and Lake.

A gymnasium and agriculture shop were added in the 1940's and a new cafeteria in the early 1950's. Educational facilities and organization remained basically unchanged until 1967. White Oak High School students began attending Tar Heel High School and New Light Elementary was consolidated with White Oak, with the facility housing K-8 students and renamed White Oak Elementary. The school ceased to exist as such in the spring of 1977. Kindergarten through Sixth grade youngsters enrolled in the fall at Bladen Lakes, a new facility located near Jones Lake. The seventh and eighth grade pupils began attending Tar Heel.

A SUCCESSION OF PRINCIPALS AT WHITE OAK SCHOOL                                                                                                       

Mamie McLeod 1918-1919 --------------C P. Ashley 1935-1963                                    

 Louise Black 1919-1920 -----------------Thomas L Mercer 1963-1965                       

W W Woodhouse 1920- 925 ------------ John Boyd Caprell 1965-1967

F. T Johnson 1925-1928------------------ James C McLaney 1967-1970

C H. McGregor 1928-1929--------------- Daniel F. McLaurin 1970-1977

 R. L. Pittman 1929-1935


    


Next Reunion:  

Saturday, August 11, 2018

White Oak Gym

 

Current Registrations

Alphabetidal

By Class  

 Catering by

Kinlaw

 

Dinner at 4:00 pm